Rainbow.


I stopped on the corner
of Swenson avenue;
my eyes caught in the rainbow
splattered against the sky.
It was so tangible;
like strips of coloured playdoh
squeezed through the fingers of clouds,
so vibrant
and alive.

Strangers in the street stood beside me
like comrades
fighting the urge to keep moving
along our roads of busy discontent.
We were all still,
our pupils fixed at the point
where the mystical and the ordinary converged;
knowing that if we looked away
the illusion would shatter,
scattering across the wind
and scrambling back into pockets of raindance
like a spectre that never was.

But, I know it was.
It wasn’t just real,
it was reality;
a brushstroke of existence itself
that held in its form
the forms of so many bewildered minds
whose gasps of delight
intensified this arc of stain glass,
dangling in the blue span of etherstuff
and bird wings.

Pitter-pats of rainblobs
landed on my nose,
cutting the rainbow
with the giggles of my blinking eyelids.
Regular thoughts wriggled back into
the spaces behind my cleansed irises,
but I clutched at those dancing colours a moment longer,
holding their tails between my thumbs and forefingers
and ravelling them around my wrists.
I captured the insignia of the sky the only way I knew,
drawing its hues into these monochrome words.





















No comments:

Post a Comment