A Tainted Memory.

What’s in a laugh that echoes
in the ears of my memory’s castle?
What’s in a smile, frozen in time
and the carefree flight of our joy,
now grounded?
What’s in the stones that skipped heartbeats
Now built into walls?
And, when did the cracks appear
In my rose-tinted irises
That remembered you?
Because the world where you live,
In the back of my mind,
Is no longer unmarked and
Perhaps I was a fool to ever think it so.
Tell me,
what’s in the salt of tears
but bitterness and regret?
And, what’s in a heartdrop shared
but the cold blanket of naivety
and misplaced trust?
Here I thought no harm would come
To my quivering open soul,
Having handed you a delicate feather
from its injured wing.
But I was blind as I searched your eyes
For a curious innocence,
And perhaps allowing myself to see it,
In place of the ignorant cold that lay there.













2 comments: